Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Picture perfect 30p to 24p conversion (for the 5Dm2)

Sorry for the long break between updates, I am now going to commit to update every other week at the least.

So just recently Canon let loose the manual control firmware (which rocks!) but users are still stuck with 30fps. That is fine for an elegant slowdown to 24fps, but if your recording sync sound you want 24fps interpolated from the 30p files. This was an issue I worked through using compressor in months past but it always introduced artifacts, I looked at twixtor, After effects and others on top of that- but none measured up.

Just recently I bought Apple SHAKE and boy am I impressed! This is the best frame rate conversion of them all and now with the manual firmware for the 5D mark 2, you can shoot 30p at 1/50th shutter and get frame accurate perfect 24p without any noticeable artifacts... you can even scrub frame by frame on most clips and not see any.

After trying out all of the settings in Shake, Here is the best method of turning your 30p 5Dm2 footage into 24p WITHOUT slowing down:

1. Open Shake and import your 30p native file.
2. Set your input frame rate to 30.00
3. Set your output frame rate to 24.00
4. Go to Timing and select under the ReTiming menu:

Convert
- Set motion to "Best"
- Set Flow Smoothness to ZERO! (important)
- Set Flow Precision to 100 (also important!)

Then just render out your file of choice with the fileout node (I use ProRes HQ) and BLAM! Picture perfect 24p. On 99% of clips, I cant see a single artifact- even frame by frame. I can say with confidence that this is the cheapest and highest quality method for getting 24p from a 30p file. Shake is also amazing for doing other things too- like color grading or adding real film grain.

Comparison grab (24p on the left and 30p on the right (the frame on the left is an entirely new frame- notice the lack of artifacts even though the subjects hands are moving- I will post some moving stuff soon):

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell, Hunter,

first of all, many thanks for the great info!

the problem is that i am new to shake and i don't know how to use it...

could you please help me with more details? i send the file via the fcp but then i don't know how to set input and output frame rates and (i'm afraid) etc too...

it would be great if you could help me.

thank you in advance,
theodoros.

HR said...

The easiest way is to just open Shake with your file to convert- then select the "File In" node and open the clip of choice, then at the bottom right you will see a little tab in the window that says "Timing"- If you do the steps I have in order you will see all that you need to see (new menus pop up when you select the motion to "Best") Then just apply your file out node- name your file and choose your codec and go to "Render file out nodes" on the top bar- click "update" and then "render", A little Shake flip book will pop up and you will see each frame start to render.

I admit I am still new to Shake and it took me a few weeks just to get the hang of it, but after the steep learning curve it gets a lot easier to do what you want to do. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Hunter for your answer, i really appreciate it!

Things are more clear now :)

I'm waiting for my mkII to come, it is the 1st thing i'll try.

many thanks again,
theodoros.

Geoff Smith said...

Quick question Hunter -- thanks for this very informative post by the way -- I'm wondering why you're specifying 1/50th for the shutter speed on footage. Wouldn't 1/60th be closer to the relationship between 24fps with a 180 degree shutter angle? Or are you saying it's better to start off with 1/50th as that will be closer to 1/48th after the conversion to 24p? Thanks for any info you can provide...

Alvise said...

Many thanks Hunter.
Much better than Compressor

Unknown said...

Hi Hunter,

thanks for finding out the conversion for the 5D material. I made dozens of tests with compressor and was never happy with it. Now I read you thread on cinema5d and installed an older version of Shake, 4.0. I can follow all you steps but though I read the manual I'm just too stupid to "Then just apply your file out node". Jesus, I don't know how I ever could leave iMovie behind with such low abilities, but after 2 hours of research I still can't find a way to apply the fileout node. If you have a minute, please tell me.

Thanks so much
Hannes

Unknown said...

Please forget my supid question. Finally I found it :)

Cheers
Hannes

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for the tip. I'm trying it as we speak, but finding that my render times are extremely slow. Like 30 seconds per frame.

I wonder if you could give me some feedback as to how long your renders were taking. Perhaps I missed a setting. I'm on a fast 2 x 2.8 ghz quad core.

Thanks again

Peter