Sunday, August 10, 2008

Its not the camera its how you use it.

After my recent return from shooting a promo for a non-profit in Rwanda- I had a left over dvx100. It wasnt my first camera choice for Africa, but it was the right tool for the job. But honestly- I couldn't wait to start working with professional cameras and formats again. I received a phone call from a friend of mine who wanted me to shoot a little teaser film for church about a week after I got home. My RED camera was out on rental with another friend- So I agreed to shoot it with the dvx100 I had used in Rwanda. Long story short. We spend a day of planning the shoot and about 8 hours shooting with a minuscule budget and no lights.

Its amazing what you can do when you stop worrying about formats or what camera your using and just focus on cinematography. I was even surprised at the result. You can see the film below. All captured on a dvx100.


GO WEST - Series Promo (HD VERSION) from Hunter Richards on Vimeo.

This isn't the best work I have ever done but I wanted to give you an example of what can be done with the tools you already have (you may even have a better camera than the dvx100!) Its not about getting that next better camera, its about learning the craft and doing the best you can with the tools you have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you make the DVX look so good? I'm pretty fond of that camera (maybe just because I'm used to it) but I'm sure I don't know all I need to in order to make the footage look its best. Where should I look to start learning more?

Unknown said...

Were you using a jib, what kind of wide angle were you using, also it looks like you were using some filtration. Also did you have a lens adapter to work the DOF.